The Ultimate Guide to Men’s Clutches
A clutch is a small, flat bag that can be carried by hand or under the arm. It is usually used to hold essentials such as a wallet, phone, keys, and sunglasses. Clutches are typically associated with women’s fashion, but they have also become a popular accessory for men in recent years. In this article, we will explore the history, benefits, styles, and tips of men’s clutches.
The History of Men’s Clutches
Clutches have been around for centuries, dating back to ancient times when people used pouches or satchels to carry their belongings. However, the modern clutch as we know it today emerged in the 1920s, when women started to use them as evening bags to complement their flapper dresses. They were often embellished with beads, sequins, or embroidery, and sometimes had a wrist strap or a chain handle.
Men’s clutches, on the other hand, did not gain popularity until the 2010s, when celebrities and fashion influencers began to sport them on the red carpet and on the street. Some of the early adopters of men’s clutches were Kanye West, Pharrell Williams, David Beckham, and Harry Styles. They showed that clutches could be a versatile and stylish accessory for men, whether paired with a suit, a casual outfit, or even a kilt.
Since then, men’s clutches have become more mainstream and widely available. Many luxury brands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Philipp Plein have launched their own versions of men’s clutches, ranging from leather pouches to canvas totes. Men’s clutches have also been featured in various fashion shows and magazines, showcasing their appeal and diversity.
The Benefits of Men’s Clutches
Men’s clutches are not just a fashion statement. They also offer several practical benefits that make them a worthwhile investment. Here are some of the advantages of men’s clutches:
- They are convenient and easy to carry. Unlike backpacks or messenger bags, clutches do not require straps or buckles that can be cumbersome or uncomfortable. They also do not add bulk or weight to your outfit. You can simply grab your clutch and go.
- They are spacious and functional. Clutches may look small, but they can actually fit a lot of items inside. Depending on the size and shape of your clutch, you can store your essentials such as your wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, headphones, charger, notebook, pen, and more. Some clutches even have compartments or pockets to help you organize your stuff.
- They are stylish and versatile. Clutches come in various colors, materials, patterns, and designs that can suit any taste and occasion. You can choose a clutch that matches your personality and mood. You can also mix and match your clutch with different outfits and accessories to create different looks.
The Styles of Men’s Clutches
Men’s clutches are not one-size-fits-all. There are different types of clutches that cater to different needs and preferences. Here are some of the common styles of men’s clutches:
|A rectangular clutch that resembles an envelope. It usually has a flap closure that folds over the top.
|A clutch that has a zipper closure along the top or the side. It often has a wrist strap or a loop for easy carrying.
|A clutch that resembles a folder or a portfolio. It usually has a snap button or a magnetic closure.
|A clutch that resembles a tote bag. It usually has two handles or straps that can be held by hand or over the shoulder.
|A clutch that resembles a pouch or a drawstring bag. It usually has a cinch closure that can be tightened or loosened.
The Tips for Men’s Clutches
Now that you know the basics of men’s clutches, here are some tips to help you choose and use them wisely:
- Pick a clutch that suits your needs and style. Consider the size, shape, material, color, and design of your clutch. Think about what you want to carry in it and where you want to use it. Choose a clutch that fits your lifestyle and personality.
- Coordinate your clutch with your outfit. Your clutch should complement your overall look and not clash with it. You can either match your clutch with your clothes or create contrast with them. For example, you can pair a black leather clutch with a gray suit for a formal occasion or a colorful canvas clutch with jeans and a t-shirt for a casual outing.
- Hold your clutch properly. There is no right or wrong way to hold your clutch, but there are some general guidelines to follow. You can hold your clutch by hand or under your arm depending on your preference and comfort level. You can also switch hands or arms depending on the situation. However, avoid holding your clutch too tightly or too loosely as it may look awkward or insecure.
- Be confident and have fun with your clutch. The most important thing about wearing a clutch is to enjoy it and own it. Don’t be afraid to express yourself and experiment with different styles and combinations. A clutch is not only a practical accessory but also an extension of your personality.